• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Lump in throat feeling?

gocats2009

Greenlighter
For about the past month I have had difficulty swallowing my food when eating, often getting the hiccups after the first bite and needing to take a drink or another bite to get the food to go down. I also have a persistent cough and I seem to always be trying to swallow even when not eating. I went to the doctor and tested negative for strep and was given a bottle of codeine syrup with a refill. This did nothing to help my swallowing and was wondering if anyone knew what this may be or the cause of this?

for background I am a daily marijuana smoker with only the occasional cigarette, and I dip grizzly tobacco not daily but off and on.

I would ask for a follow up with your doctor and inform him...maybe something is up with your esophogus? Causing the pain? Could be acid reflux or something related perhaps...I'm not a doctor or anything even close, just an idea...I would definitely go back to the dr especially since this has persisted for a month already.

Thanks for your input. Could this be a side effect of a pro longed cough. In november of this past year I had bronchitis that lasted about two weeks then a few weeks later I went back to the doctor and was diagnosed with the Swine Flu as many other people at my university. I am also 19 years old if that helps any...

Ah, maybe it is irritation then, I'm working on a masters straight after undergrad, so been in a university setting for 5 years now, and schools are a really dirty place, could be a beat up immune system that is having a hard time recovering...I feel like I've been victim to that, not taking care of myself while at school....happens to everyone.

The thing is, it's been a while since you were sick if this has just been the last month, was there a time it didn't happen in between? Or is this just continuous?

I have a new idea actually. I have had anxiety since high school and have noticed it getting worse in the past months. I just started medication a few days ago though Zoloft 50mg/day. I was just reading about GAD(generalized anxiety disorder) and one symptom is difficulty swallowing. Could this be the source of my problem?

only you can tell if you feel you have anxiety...if you look you can find that symptom in many diseases i'm sure. If you truly have GAD; you would prob. know, as it really has an impact on ur life...work, anything. I am on Valium and have been for about 6 years...when i worked at this one restaurant, it was so bad I would literally have a panic attack (trouble breathing, racing thoughts, overwhelming sense of terror, sweating, feeling really disassociated with whats going on etc. needless to say i had to switch to xanax for a little bit before i hit my wits end and quit.
But the valium I use for anxiety and as a muscle relaxer for my back (wont even get into that) , and I've been gettin a script for 90 10's a month for years, and never ever have felt addicted or anything with them...can not take them and be fine...no urge to overuse the prescription...i don't understand how so many people say benzos are more of a bitch than opiates??? maybe it's each his own...sorry for the digression but hope you get sorted man!

hi gocats - i really felt i had to reply since this is something i can strongly relate to. i'm just gonna give my 2cents based on my own experience bt i hope its helpful ...
several years ago i began to expereince difficulty swallowing, along with frequently getting freaked out to the point of panic attack due to the feeling that something had become stuck in my throat. i went thru months and months of stress and anxiety whenever i would eat, or when i was supposed to eat, and worst of all to eat in a social situation. it became so severe that i did see my doctor. fortunately he was a great guy and very compassionate. he recognized immediately thank this problem was anxiety driven. he treated me with xanax and counseledme with facts that really helped me deal with it.

i should definitely add that, #1. i have struggled with varying levels of anxiety since i was a young teenager, and #2 i'd been a pot smoker on the regular for many years. i have over come this problem with time and anxiety meds and alot of self dialog but it took quite a while... looking back i feel pretty convinced that the yrs of smokin pot was a factor in my increasing anxiety level.

i want to say that getting hooked on xanax is not the solution or the goal, that didnt happen to me. i used it as a tool. after a while when i felt the fear iwould just remind myself that it was right there if i needed it and that became enough to get me thru, at least 9 times out of 10. bcuz after a while it becomes fear of the fear...you may not be there yet idk...

i'm not saying its all in your head - NOT saying that at all. but sometimes esp. for us anxiety prone ppl, something gets in your head and no matter how rational you try to make it, it becomes out of your control- anxiety takes over and runs with it.
im sorry! i didnt intend to write a novel here i just have been there and ive had it grow from what you're describing into full blown turning gray-body-trembling-heart pounding-shirt soaking sweat-crying-dizzy-go to the hospital panic like id never had before. and the worst part was that no one understood, no one had experience with it, no one knew whether it was in my head or not and that was so scary.
my advice is to see your doc again and if he/she doesnt seem to get it or blows u off, try to get an appt w a psychotherapist/counselor someone like that- just dont wait until it gets to a point where its affecting your life every day and night, like i did.
again i apologize for the lengthy post but id feel great if i could help just one person with something like this. feeling alone in it can compund the problem greatly. good luck gocats and i sincerely hope this is helpful! :)

Thanks paperdoll i really appreciated all that and it made me feel a lot better. I just got back from seeing my doctor actually and he discontinued my vyvanse and zoloft and prescribed me with xanax .25 mg twice per day as needed but said that i can take 3-5 for the first few days so that i don't have to worry about anxiety issues or any panic attacks. He said he will put me back on the zoloft along with the xanax to use as needed.